$800 TOTAL Montana RV LLC package
Our Montana RV LLC package includes DMV fees, MT LLC fees, our service fees, and you’ll have your Montana RV registration in 3 days.
Montana is a great place to license your motor-home, RV, travel trailer, trucks, automobiles, trailers, aircraft, boats, or any type of vehicle, because Montana has no sales tax. It’s especially nice if you are a full-time RVer. You can form a domestic Montana LLC with our address and hold your vehicles and assets in the Montana LLC. Your Montana LLC will be a “resident” of Montana, giving it the right to register your RV here in Montana. We are located in Flathead County. Flathead County is the best county in Montana to license your vehicles in. Almost every other county in MT has a county excise tax. You have to have an address in Flathead County to license your vehicles, motor homes, or RVs here. If you sign up with another service that is in another county, you might be faced with higher annual fees to keep your license up.
How to use a Montana LLC to buy an RV Tax-Free:
You need to “reside” in Montana to register a motorhome here. So for decades, many savvy RV owners have formed Montana LLCs. By forming a Montana LLC, that LLC is a resident of this state and can own and register vehicles here in MT. You control the LLC, the LLC owns an RV. Here’s the process of using a Montana LLC to purchase a motorhome tax-free:
- Form a Montana Limited Liability Company.
- Purchase the Motorhome in your new MT LLC’s name and using your registered agent’s address.
- Send your RV purchase paperwork to your Montana LLC service provider.
- Have your MT LLC service company walk into the DMV, register your RV, and mail you back your registration and license plate.
- Your title will come later—have your registered agent send you the title.
- Maintain a MT registered agent.
- File your $20 annual report to the MT SOS every April 15th.
- Either pay the DMV direct online and the renewal registration will come every year, or pay your MT LLC service provider to do it for you.
- You can always buy tow vehicles, scooters, or trade your RV for a new one with the MT LLC.
Not all addresses Montana RV LLC websites sell are equal:
Check out the addresses of our competition! You can type the address into a google street view, to see the actual buildings. You’ll see virtual offices in Helena, strip malls in Missoula, residential homes in the middle of nowhere. Or you’ll see many attorneys from all over the state, listing a relative’s or random person’s address right here in Flathead county to get the cheaper pricing. We see Craigslist ads almost all the time from our competitors looking for people in Flathead county willing to let them use their address. So you pay a professional $1,250+ and you get an address they found on Craigslist?
We are a commercial location, own our building, and specialize in Montana RV LLCs. A big thing to consider is the legitimacy of what you are doing. The whole theory is that you are forming a Montana business. The Montana business (LLC) owns assets such as a motor-home or vehicle. Because Montana does not have business personal property tax on assets that are licensed, you pay no sales tax, just a licensing fee. Do you think your Montana LLC should be at a residential address, a one-room suite in a big downtown building, or in a strip mall?
There are a lot of websites out there “specializing” in Montana LLCs for holding companies, charging way more than we do. You can go to Google Maps street view search and type in the address they are giving you to see an actual picture of what the address looks like. All you have to do is click on the “street view” option. Google has gone through our entire country and driven the streets taking photographs of basically everything. While this is annoyingly invasive of our privacy, it offers a valuable tool to really see who you are dealing with very quickly. So, if you are forming a legitimate Montana LLC to buy vehicles and RVs under, please use a commercial building.
Many websites are side-businesses where people give you their home address for your Montana RV LLC—lawyers that have full-time practices but give out their home address to form an LLC here and there on the side. You’re forming a Montana LLC and you’re using a residential address? That just doesn’t make a lot of sense to us, and frankly, we find it insulting to our profession. We are a Montana business services business. This is all we do, every day, ALL DAY. We form Montana LLCs and corporations, and we act as a registered agent. We don’t go work somewhere else and have side business Montana LLC websites for Montana RV LLCs.
What will it cost to form a MT LLC for an RV?
Your initial cost if you use us is $800 total, and that includes DMV fees and everything. That includes forming your MT LLC in 1 day. It includes custom Articles of Organization created especially for RV buyers. It also includes resolutions, operating agreement, membership certificates, and DMV fees. We register your RV the same day you get us your purchasing paperwork and overnight your plates and registration back to you the same day. Most of our clients have Montana plates and registration 3 days after placing an order.
We are typically about 1-2 weeks faster than all our competition in turn-around time, and $500-$3,000 cheaper than anyone else we’ve found.
** Our fee does not include Montana’s new Luxury Tax that is charged by the state on motorhomes with an original MSRP at or above $300,000. This new Luxury Tax is $800.
What will it cost to keep an RV registered in Montana?
- We only charge $49 a year to be your registered agent—WAY less than most others. All LLCs are required to have a registered agent, and this is why we have a business.
- You’ll owe the MT Secretary of State $20 every April 15th. We send you reminders to pay direct, or we can file on your behalf for $40 total.
- You’ll pay the DMV direct every year like you’re used to when your registration runs out. OR, if you want to have us do it for you, we charge $100 for renewals plus your DMV fees. We get your renewal notice and scan and email it to you with instructions to pay direct online or have us do it on your behalf.
Flathead DMV Renewal Fees for Motorhomes and RVs:
- 0-2 years old $320
- 2-5 years old $224.25
- 5-9 years old $132.50
- 8-11 years old $97.50
- 11 years + can get a permanent license plate for $237.50
So your total rough costs for a brand new RV would be about $350 a year if you use us. Once your RV is 2 years old, then you’ll be looking at about $300 total costs. It will take a lot of years to add up to what most states charge in sales tax.
Benefits of using a Montana LLC to own an RV:
- Anonymous. If you hire us, we form your Montana LLC without getting your personal names on public records of your MT LLC or your registration paperwork.
- License plate lookup. Anyone can look up a license plate number and get the name and address of who that vehicle is registered to. By having your Montana LLC own the motorhome, when someone looks up your license plate, they find your Montana LLC name and our address. The privacy of this alone is worth the whole process.
- It’s time to play with the rules the rich created. Loopholes, loopholes, loopholes. Our laws are written by people who have the money to buy lobbyists who basically buy and sell laws that they want to happen. The middle class get stuck playing with the rules that others have written for themselves. You finally have a loophole you can use to make the cost of owning an RV less.
- Data. If you own an RV in your personal name, your personal name gets associated with assets. Data aggregating companies will get your data from public registrations, associate you with a certain amount of assets, and sell your information over and over and over again, so that company after company can proposition you with offers to buy stuff. By not owning an RV personally, you can keep your personal name from being associated with assets, and you will reduce the amount of solicitations you would get otherwise.
Cost Savings Analysis
|RV Model||Cost||Sales Tax (6%)||$800 Montana LLC Savings|
|Newell Coach 1556||$2 million||$120,000||$119,200|
** All motorhomes with an original MSRP at or above $300,000 are now subject to Montana’s new Luxury Tax of $800.
How long will it take to register an RV in Montana?
If you’re using us, you place your order, and your MT LLC will be formed the same day. You can then purchase your RV in your LLC’s name, overnight us the titlework, and we’ll get your plates and registration the same day and overnight it all back to you—3 days basically if you’re ready to go.
Why our Montana RV LLC is different:
- We form your MT LLC without getting your personal names on record with the MT SOS.
- We register your RV with the DMV without you having to sign the DMV registration.
- We don’t charge you extra for any of this. We think it’s a scam if people try to charge you more for privacy and asset protection, when it doesn’t cost anything if you just understand how LLCs work.
- You will never be sold a bunch of extra stuff you don’t need.
- We understand Montana LLCs. This is all we do.
- One day. Every order is automatically processed the same day.
- Operating agreement, resolutions, membership certificates. It’s all there. We don’t charge extra.
- Same-day DMV processing. UPS comes to our office every day for overnight deliveries. We go to the DMV twice a day. No one can compare with our speed.
- Commercial Montana LLC address. Don’t get stuck with a residential home address for your RV LLC.
Take a look at our MT RV LLC signup form. There’s no hidden fees or add-ons. There are some Montana websites looking to get rich off high one-time fees. We have a different approach: Do it right, do it well, do it for a fair price, and your customers will keep coming back and refer you to someone else. Honestly, we get about 1-2 referrals a day from people that met one of our clients at an RV campground. We also get a consistent flow of new clients that already have a Montana RV LLC and switch to us for our cheaper registered agent service to maintain the LLC.
Why are you $500-$3,000 cheaper than anyone else?
- No up-sells. Other websites try to up-sell you for things like privacy. Because of our knowledge and expertise in LLCs, we know that we can keep your information private by default. We don’t try to take advantage of you not doing this every day and not knowing any better.
- We’re not lawyers. We feel there’s a lot of benefit to getting legal advice. We feel you should go in one of two directions. Pay the $2-3,000 and hire a MT lawyer to give you full-blown legal advice about everything, or hire a MT LLC service like ours for $800 total that specializes in this. PLEASE don’t pay something in the middle for a company that might charge $1,200 or more when they aren’t even lawyers giving you legal advice.
- We’re process-oriented people. We live and breathe logistics. We process hundreds of documents and legal service of process all day every day for our registered agent clients.
- We’re actually here in MT. Many of the websites selling RV LLCs are people that own a domain name and get your lead and sell it, or they process it out of state and have to hire someone like us in MT.
- This isn’t a side gig. Many lawyers have law practices. This is side income and they need to charge more to justify not doing legal work for $2-$300 an hour.
- We’re a business services business. We do lots of business compliance services for regular Montana businesses. You’re getting the same great prices we make a living at by providing services to regular Montana businesses. What you’re doing is forming a regular Montana business. Why should you get stuck paying crazy amounts more than a regular business just because you’re buying an RV?
Will my personal name and address be public?
Not if you hire us. We keep your information off of public records with the MT SOS and the DMV.
What if I already bought the RV in my personal name?
We can fix this. Once you mail us what you’ve done already, we’ll draft papers for you to sign, email it to you, and you can mail the originals back to us. This will slow down the process by 1-2 days, but this hitch can almost always be overcome.
How will I get Montana RV LLC Insurance?
We include an order form to get a quote for RV LLC insurance from a few different carriers. Worst case, Progressive writes RV LLC insurance and can get you insurance super quick.
Can I start a Montana RV LLC with a lien on my RV?
You can, but it probably won’t do much good. If you have a lien or are financing, please call us before you submit your order.
Should I get a Montana RV LLC bank account?
This is one of the dumbest up-sells we see from competitors. There’s absolutely zero reason to get a Montana-based bank to open up a bank account for you. In fact, we think if you ever had to explain that, you would look super sketchy. You do not need an EIN to open up a bank account in your Montana LLC’s name. Again, many Montana LLC service websites will sell this as an option, just to get more money out of you. We think you shouldn’t get an EIN and that it’s actually bad for you if you do get an EIN. It’s nice to get a separate bank account under your Montana LLC’s name. It’s not necessary, but you can put personal money into it and track your RV expenses that way, and keep your personal name off some records by having a Montana LLC bank account. Just go to your local bank and open up a free LLC bank account there with your social security number. Most small business bank accounts do not have a monthly fee associated with them, and they never have a fee to open them, so you’re getting totally screwed if you pay someone to set up a Montana LLC bank account for you for your RV.
Should I get a Montana Drivers License to register my RV?
This is flat out lying to Montana, and we highly discourage this. Why on earth would you ruin a process of legally forming a Montana LLC, and doing it completely legally in Montana, with lying to Montana about your personal residence? Montana has personal income tax also, so it’s a horrible state to establish personal residency in if you’re not going to live here. There are mail forwarding services in Florida, Texas, and South Dakota where there’s no personal income tax, and from our understanding, specific laws made to accommodate full-time RV people. In no way, shape or form does Montana have laws to allow you to lie about your personal residence and get a Montana drivers license if you don’t live here.
There’s no reason to get one either. What you’re doing is no different than a truck driver driving a company truck.
Do I need to get the Motorhome inspected to register it in MT?
Is it legal to buy an RV in a Montana LLC?
The practice of buying an RV in a Montana LLC is widely accepted. It’s perfectly legal in Montana, though it may not be in your home county. This is a very good option for full-time RV people and out-of-country people who don’t live anywhere and don’t have residency anywhere. It would massively disrupt the entire way corporations and LLCs work to not allow LLCs to be formed for the sole purpose of owning something and avoiding taxes.
Here’s a great case where the Louisiana Supreme Court made a decision that a Montana LLC can be formed for the sole purpose of avoiding sales tax, and the Louisiana Department of Revenue could not pierce the corporate veil of the Montana LLC. Here’s the montana rv llc louisiana ruling.
Buying an RV with a MT LLC is a great option for people living close to state borders where you could store your RV in a state you don’t reside in. Many counties will have rules saying something like: If you keep your RV here for ___ days in a row, you should license it here. Most counties are about 6 months. The reality is that most of our clients don’t really care and will never get in trouble. They’ve been getting screwed by the laws that make the rich richer and the middle class poorer, and they think it’s cool to finally play a little tax avoidance game like all the rich people do.
Vehicle licensing in Montana is governed by Section 61 of the Montana Code Annotated.
It states that RVs pay a license fee in lieu of taxes. Montana RVs pay the license fee based off of the year, not the value. The only exception is the local county option motor vehicle tax that almost every county has except ours. If you’re looking at a competitor of ours in Helena, Missoula, Billings, Bozeman, Great Falls, or basically anywhere other than Flathead County, they have around 1% of the suggested retail value county vehicle option tax on the total purchase price of your vehicle. This can really add up if you have an expensive vehicle! Our county, Flathead county, is one of the better financed counties and does not charge this tax. Using All Day $49 Montana Registered Agent LLC to set up your LLC in our county for $300 will allow you to have the cheapest ongoing DMV fees.
We hear stories from people that just want a motor home, and then they find out after they purchase it that they can’t even afford to license it in their home state. Some may think of us as helping people avoid taxes, but we feel honored to help retired people each and every day who have dreamed of traveling the country, but when they go down to buy a $200,000 RV, they find out it will cost them $16,000 to register it and $8,000 a year to keep it. They are so excited to find out it will only cost $800 to register it and about $350 a year to keep it by using us. Those states are overcharging and gouging their residents, and should get more competitive with our great State of Montana if they don’t like it.
What are the tax implementations of a RV LLC?
Montana has business personal property tax and income tax. So if we buy a computer for our office for $1,000 from Dell, we pay 1.9% of the value of that computer every year on our business personal property tax return. We also pay about a 6.9% net income tax on the profits of our business to the State of Montana. Then we have our regular federal income taxes.
The real point of what you are thinking about doing is simplicity, right? So if you ONLY hold assets in the Montana LLC that are titled, you should not have a business personal property tax return with the State of Montana or Flathead County. Also… you won’t have a net income tax to Montana or the IRS for the company, because you’re not operating your Montana LLC to earn money or make income. Now you could go and file zero returns every year for these companies, but that would be a pain. If there’s no activity, the worst case scenario is, way down the road, you have to file some zero returns. You SHOULD NOT get a tax ID number with the IRS for a Montana RV LLC holding company. You’re only forming a legitimate Montana business (a Montana LLC) to license a vehicle in. We think one of the important things about doing this with us as your Montana registered agent is that your address will be a commercial address, not a residential home.
Out of the many thousands of Montana RV LLC clients we have, we have never heard of a single client having to file a zero tax return with Montana or the IRS. Some of our competitors will try to sell you a service to file a zero dollar tax return or notices of non-business activity with the MT Department of Revenue. You don’t need this and you are just getting sold extras you don’t need.
Many of our competitors might try to sell you Montana bank accounts or tax ID numbers or extra virtual office services. Again, you don’t need any of this, and frankly in our minds, you shouldn’t do these things.
So How Do You Get Started?
- Fill out the sign up form, pay, and we’ll call or email you with any questions.
- We’ll have your MT Vehicle LLC formed in one day.
- We’ll be emailing you instructions on how to handle buying an RV with your LLC.
- Get us the RV purchase papers.
- We go the DMV twice a day.
- We process your order the same day and overnight your plates and registration back to you the same day.
- The title comes about a month later to our address and we forward the original title on to you. We scan it first so you know as soon as we get it.