Montana X-Ray Tech License Requirements

How do I become a licensed X-ray technician in Montana?

Limited Permit Holder:
Montana Department of Labor and Industry created The Board of Radiologic Technologists in order to provide standards and regulations to insure the safety of the technicians and the public and set standards of professionalism. Becoming an x-ray tech requires that you first complete healthcare prerequisites before you can enter an x-ray tech clinical program. Upon successful completion of the required 104-hour, Board-approved training, you would apply to the board for a license, starting with a limited permit.

You must pass the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) limited scope core examination. You must deliver in person or by mail the completed Application for Limited Permit Holder with documents verifying the successful completion of the Board-approved course, the Clinical Competency Checklist, which will be downloaded with the application, and the non-refundable application fee to the Montana Board of Radiologic Technologists for the consideration of the Board staff.  Once an applicant has been approved, you will be instructed to send the $100.00 examination fee to the ARRT. They will send you a packet of instructions and support information and a schedule for your ARRT Limited Scope Examination.

Radiologic Technologist:
You must apply for a Radiologic Technologist License by completing the application form and delivering it by mail or in person to the Montana Board of Radiologic Technologists, along with the non-refundable application fee.  All applications may be downloaded from the link found below. You will need to include three statements from persons attesting to applicant’s good moral character. Send it to:

Montana Board of Radiologic Technologists
301 South Park, 4th Floor
P.O. Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513
Phone:  (406) 841-2385  Fax:  (406) 841-2305

After your application has been processed, you will be sent a letter from the Board, stating whether or not you are eligible for the ARRT exam, and if so, you will be given further instructions to send the $100.00 examination fee to the ARRT. You will then receive a packet along with an appointment schedule for your examination.

Are there radiology schools located in Montana?

There are many online universities that offer the first two semesters of a radiography program and many junior colleges and technical universities that offer x-ray tech curriculum. The College of Technology in Missoula offers a Radiographic Technology Program that is recognized by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) and is designed to be a five semester program. As with most x-ray tech training programs, you will have to pass a background check for misdemeanor or felony convictions that may leave you ineligible.

Do I need to be licensed to work as an X-ray tech in Montana?


Can I get a temporary license?

You may request the temporary permit when applying to the Montana Board of Radiologic Technologists. When filling out the standard licensing application, you put a check in the Temporary license box.

How much does it cost to get licensed?

The application fee to try for your original license or limited permit is $90.00. This is nonrefundable. Then the original license is $30.00 and the yearly renewal is $50.00. To renew a limited permit, the fee is $40.00

The full license originally is issued by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT), and their exam fee is a nonrefundable $100.00.

When does a license expire?

Active radiologic technologists and limited permit holders must renew every year between December 1 and February 1. This can be done online.

Are there continuing education requirements in Montana?

Six hours of accredited continuing education per year are required by the Montana Board to apply for a renewal of license. The requirement will apply after the licensee’s first full year of practice. You must document your continuing education as the board will conduct annual audits.

As a registered agent service, we would like to assist you if you decide to form a company and register with the Montana Secretary of State. We can help you deal with the Montana Secretary of State by properly filing your documents for just $100.00. For the “Do it Yourselfers” we  furnish you with all the resources to file your own articles of formation in your online account if you sign up for registered agent service with All Day $49 Montana Registered Agent LLC. Click on “Sign Up” and get started.

Montana Board of Radiologic Technologists Application forms