Montana Veterinary License Requirements

What is the process for becoming a licensed veterinarian in Montana?

The Montana Board of Veterinary Medicine follows the standard licensure procedures of all states as established by the National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners (NBVME). This organization has developed the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE). This is a computer based multiple choice examination, administered during two testing windows per year. Follow the link below to learn about the exam and future testing dates and other candidate support services.

The veterinary applicant completes an application to become a candidate for NAVLE. The online link for downloading the application from the Montana Department of Labor & Industry is furnished below. The applicant delivers the completed Veterinarian Licensure by Examination form with the fee, a passport size photo, and also with the completed Montana Veterinary Medicine Jurisprudence Examination, by mail or in person to the Montana Board of Veterinary Medicine.

They will approve or reject your application within 45 days. If the Montana Board approves your application, you become a NAVLE Candidate and Montana will notify the National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners of your candidacy. When you pass NAVLE, Montana will issue your license.
Montana also issues certificates for specialized practice, species specific, euthanasia technician and embryo transfer technician.

Montana Board of Veterinary Medicine contact information:

301 South Park
P.O. Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513
Phone:  (406) 841-2331   Fax:  (406) 841-2305

How much does it cost to get licensed?

Montana Application

National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners

Montana Renewal

When does a Montana veterinary license expire?

Your Montana Veterinary license expires every year on November 1. You can send in the paper Renewal Applicationwith the fee or renew online at the link below.

Are there continuing education requirements in Montana?

Each veterinarian licensed in Montana is required every two years to take a minimum of 20 credit hours of continuing education classes that are approved by the board.

Our company is a registered agent service and we provide business compliance service. Even though we have no connection to Montana veterinary licensing, there are many veterinarians and veterinary related corporations established in Montana, and this is where we can help. If you decide it is time for you to incorporate or form a limited liability company, we can properly file all your documents with the Montana Secretary of State for just $100.00. If you prefer handling your own entity set-up, you will find all the forms you need in your online account. All you have to do is go to the bottom of the page and click on “Sign Up” and you can get started with registered agent service from All Day $49 Montana Registered Agent, LLC.

License Application Form Link:

Montana Board of Veterinary Medicine:

NAVLE Application Process Info:

Montana Online Renewal: