Montana Real Estate Broker License Requirements

How do I become a licensed real estate broker in the State of Montana?

The Montana Board of Realty Regulations has set forth the following requirements:

  • Must have completed 60 hours of pre-licensing instruction from a school and instructor approved by the Board. (Find a list of approved schools at FAQ on the link below)
  • Must have passed the Montana Broker Examination with a score of 80% on both portions. This test is given at Great Falls, Missoula and Billings.
  • Must have two years experience as a licensed salesperson.
  • Must have completed the following required activity within three years of the application:
  • Minimum 30 residential real estate transactions, and
  • Minimum 10 commercial, agricultural or ranch real estate transaction.

After these requirements have been met, send a completed Application for Licensure as a Broker with a current photo and fee to the Montana Board of Realty Regulation at:

301 South Park
P.O. Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513
(406) 841-2354
Phone:  (406) 841-2354  Fax: (406) 841-2323

How much does it cost to get licensed?

Montana Broker’s License

Montana Broker Renewal

When does a Montana real estate broker’s license expire?

Your Montana license expires every year on October 31. You can send in the paper Renewal Application with the fee or renew online at the link below.

Are there continuing education requirements in Montana?

All real estate licensees in Montana are required to complete 12 hours of continuing education every year. Four of those hours must be from the Mandatory Topics List furnished by the Montana Board of Realty Regulation. This information along with education and exam facts can be found at the Boards link below.

Our company is a registered agent service and we provide complete and ongoing business compliance service for one low flat rate of $49.00 per year. Our service is not connected with the Montana Board of Realty Regulation, but with the Montana Secretary of State. Many brokers have established themselves as entities with the Montana Secretary of State. This is where we can be of assistance. If you decide it is time for you to form a business with the Secretary of State, whether a corporation or a limited liability company, we can file all necessary documents for you for an additional $100.00, or you will find all the forms you need to do it yourself in your online account. All you have to do is go to the bottom of the page and click on “Sign Up” and get enrolled for registered agent service with All Day $49 Montana Registered Agent LLC.

Montana Board of Realty Regulation