Montana Psychologist License Requirements

What types of psychologist licenses does Montana offer?

The Montana Board of Psychologists (MBP) regulates psychologists and senior psychologists. You must get a license from the board to practice psychology in Montana.

The MBP licenses psychologists and senior psychologists.

What are the requirements to become a psychologist in Montana?

Psychologists must complete a doctoral degree in clinical psychology, have two years of supervised experience, and pass both the written Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology and the board’s oral exam.

Senior psychologists must have a doctoral degree, practice in the US or Canada for at least 20 years, and pass an oral exam given by the board.

How do I get a license to practice psychology in Montana?

Submit the Application for Licensure as a Psychologist to the MBP.  Include any necessary documents such as exam verification, transcripts, reference letters and fees.

Send your documents and fees to:
Montana Board of Psychologists
PO Box 200513
301 S Park, 4th floor
Helena, Montana 59620-0513
Phone: (406) 841-2394
Fax: (406) 841-2305

How much does the Montana psychologist license cost?

Application fee:

Oral exam:

Certificate fee:

Annual renewal fee:

Are there any continuing education requirements for Montana psychologists?

Psychologists must complete forty hours of continuing education every two years.

Does a Montana psychologist need to form a certain type of business entity??

In addition to becoming a Montana licensed psychologist, you may want to start your own practice.  Registering your Montana business entity with the Secretary of State offers many benefits and protections for psychologists. Montana allows psychologists to choose the entity that best suits their needs.  They may form standard partnerships, corporations, limited liability companies, etc. Psychologists may also create professional corporations (PC) and professional limited liability companies (PLLC). These professional entities allow licensed individuals to form a corporation or LLC for the purpose of practicing their profession.  Shareholders must also be licensed to render the service as must half of the officers and directors. Montana does not require entities to include a description of the service (such as the word “psychologist”) in the business name.  If you choose to form a Montana PC, you are required to file the Articles of Incorporation with the licensing authority, in this case, the Montana Board of Psychologists.

Once you have chosen the type of entity you want to form, we can file the appropriate documents with the Montana Secretary of State for you or provide all the information you need to do it yourself.  We provide business formation services and ongoing business compliance services by acting as your registered agent for just $100.00.  You get your Montana Psychologist License and we will properly form your Montana business.  And for just $49 per year, we will provide ongoing business compliance services by acting as your Montana Registered Agent.

MBP forms
Montana SOS forms