Montana Plumber and Journeyman License Requirements

How do I become a licensed plumber in the State of Montana?

The Montana Board of Plumbers has established a process for obtaining Montana plumber licenses, whether it is as a Journeyman or Master Plumber. After working five years as a plumber, you may file with the Board a completed Montana Journeyman Plumber Application, along with the fee. The application will be processed in 30 days and the Board will notify you whether or not you have been accepted as a candidate for the Montana Journeyman Plumber Examination. The exam is in two parts; written examination and practical examination. You need a score of at least 70% to pass the Montana Plumbing Examination. If you fail with a score between 69% and 65%, a temporary Journeyman license may be issued until the next scheduled examination.

Montana Master Plumber Application requires four years of journeyman experience. Both the Journeyman exam and the Master exam are based on the 2009 Uniform Plumbing Code. You are given two and one half hours to complete both the written and practical exam, and you must score at least a 70%. The Montana Plumbing Exams are administered by Gainesville Independent Testing Service. Follow the link furnished below for more information. If you pass the exam, you will receive your license after you pay the license fee. You must be a licensed Master Plumber in Montana to apply for plumbing permits.

Where do I send my Montana Plumber applications and fees?

Montana Board of Plumbers
301 South Park
P.O. Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513
(406) 841-2339
Fax:  (406) 841-2309

How much does it cost to get licensed?

All fees paid to the Montana Board of Plumbers are non-refundable.

Journeyman Plumber Application Fee

Master Plumber Application Fee

Journeyman Plumber License Fee

Master Plumber License Fee

Montana State Plumbing Written Exam Fee

Montana State Plumbing Practical Exam Fee

Journeyman Plumber Renewal Fee

Master Plumber Renewal Fee

How often do I need to renew my Montana Plumber License?

You must renew your Master and Journeyman Plumber License every year between July 1 and September 1st. You may renew your license online at the link below.
Are there continuing education requirements in Montana?
Journeyman and Master Plumbers are required to accumulate 4 hours of Board-approved continuing education annually. Follow the link below to view upcoming courses.
Does Montana have reciprocal license agreements with any neighboring states?
Montana recognizes Journeyman licensure with Oregon, Idaho, North Dakota and South Dakota. You must still apply for the Montana Plumbing License, but you won’t have to take the exam. Montana does not reciprocate a Master license.

Our Pitch:

Our company is a registered agent service and we provide business formation and ongoing business compliance services by acting as the registered agent for your business entity. By the time you become a Master Plumber you have several years invested in your profession, and you may wish to separate your business assets from your personal assets by forming a business entity with the Montana Secretary of State. Whether you want to register as a corporation or a limited liability company, we can help you. We only charge $100.00 to properly form your Montana business. Maybe you would like to handle the document filing yourself? All the resources you need are in your online account as soon as you hire us. Just click the “Sign Up” button at the bottom of the page and enroll for registered agent service with All Day $49 Montana Registered Agent LLC.

Montana Board of Plumbers Forms

Montana Online License Renewal

Upcoming Continuing Education Courses for Montana Plumbers

Gainesville Independent Testing Services