Montana Land Surveyor License Requirements

How do I become a licensed land surveyor in the State of Montana?

The Montana Board of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors have set forth the procedures for obtaining surveying licenses, whether it is as an intern or a professional land surveyor. An applicant for a land surveyor intern certificate must meet one of the following requirements to sit for theFundamentals of Land Surveying Exam:

  • A Bachelor’s Degree in a board-approved curriculum relating to surveying principles and techniques; or,
  • Evidence that the applicant has had at least six years office or field experience in land surveying, with a minimum of four years of land surveying projects under the supervision of a professional land surveyor.

You submit the completed Land Surveyor Intern Application by Exam, the application fee, college transcripts and three Verification of Character and Reputation forms. These three forms are filled out by your references. Once your application is processed, you will be scheduled for the exam. If you pass the exam, the Board will issue your Intern’s License.

To receive a Professional Land Surveyor’s License in Montana, you supply the Board with similar documents with your completed Professional Land Surveyor Exam Application, along with the fee. The Board may require you to appear for an interview. You will be notified in writing of the status of your application. If your application is approved by the Board, you will eligible to sit for the Principles and Practices of Land Surveying examination, and the Montana Law, State Specific Land Surveying Examination. The examination is given four times per year; twice in April and twice in October. You can click on the link below for more information about the exam. If you pass the examination, you will be issued a professional license.

Will I receive a professional surveyor seal embosser and wall certificate when I receive my license?

The Board no longer issues surveyor seals. You will need to purchase one from a seal manufacturing company. The stamp seals can be found for approximately $25.00.  Embosser seals run from $45.00 to $90.00 depending on the quality you are looking for. The Professional Surveyor License will come from the Board in the form of a wall certificate.

Are there any special license requirements in Montana?

Many companies in Montana that offer professional land surveying, register with the Secretary of State and become business entities. All such businesses must obtain a Certificate of Authorization from the Montana Board of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors. Download the Certificate of Authorization Application form and all other related forms at the link below. Deliver your completed application and fees to the Board at:

Montana Board of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
301 South Park
P.O. Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513
Phone:  (406) 841-2354 Fax:  (406) 841-2309

How much does it cost to get licensed in Montana?

Intern Exam Application Fee

Professional Exam Application Fee

Professional Surveyor Exam Fee

Certificate of Authorization Application

Montana Professional Land Surveyor’s Renewal

Are there continuing education requirements in Montana?

A Certified Professional Land Surveyor in Montana is required to participate in 30 hours of professional development every two-year cycle. A Licensee must keep a log showing the type of activity claimed, the sponsoring organization, the location and duration, the instructors name and credentials.

When does a Montana Professional Land Surveyor’s License expire?

Renew your license every two years by June 30th on even numbered years with the Board. Just submit your record or log of your continuing professional instruction along with your renewal fee.

Our Pitch:

Our company is a registered agent service and business compliance service in Montana. We are not connected with Montana Land Surveyor licensing; however, many professional surveyors and surveying companies are registered business entities in Montana. If you decide it is time for you to form a business with the Secretary of State, whether a corporation or limited liability company, we can help you by properly filing your formation articles for just $100.00. If you want to deal with Montana Secretary of State yourself, you will find all the resources needed in your online account. All you have to do is go to the bottom of the page and click on “Sign Up” and you can enroll for registered agent service with All Day $49 Montana Registered Agent LLC.

Montana Board of Professional Engineers and professional Land Surveyors link:
NCEES Exam Administration Services link: