Montana Attorney License Requirements

What are the requirements to become an Attorney in Montana?

The State Bar of Montana regulates attorneys in Montana. This is the board that you must be licensed by to practice law in Montana.

Student and attorney applicants must take the bar exam and several other exams.
All applicants must have a JD (juris doctor law degree) at the time of taking the bar exam.
Applicants must be of good moral character–as evidenced by certification by the Commission on Character & Fitness.

Montana does not have reciprocity with any state.

How do you get a Montana Attorney License?

Request an Application for Admission from the State Bar of Montana.
State Bar of Montana
ATTN: Vanessa Sanddal, Bar Admissions Administrator
PO Box 577
Helena, Montana 59624

Return the application, fees, and all the requested documents to the State Bar of Montana.

How much will it cost to get a Montana attorney license?

Application fee for students:

Application fee for attorneys:

Montana Essay Exam:

Multistate Essay Exam:

Multistate Performance Test:

Multistate Bar Exam:

Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam:

Are there any continuing education requirements for Montana attorneys?

Montana attorneys are required to complete 15 credits of continuing legal education each year.

Does a Montana legal practice need to be a certain type of business entity?

In addition to becoming a Montana licensed attorney, you may want to start your own practice.  Registering your Montana business entity with the Secretary of State offers many benefits and protections for attorneys. Montana allows attorneys to choose the entity that best suits their needs.  Attorneys may form standard partnerships, corporations, limited liability companies, etc. Attorneys may also create professional corporations (PC) and professional limited liability companies (PLLC). These professional entities allow licensed individuals to form a corporation or LLC for the purpose of practicing their profession.  Shareholders must also be licensed to render the service as must half of the officers and directors. Montana does not require entities to include a description of the service (such as the word “attorney”) in the business name.  If you choose to form a PC in Montana, you are required to file the Articles of Incorporation with the licensing authority, in this case, the State Bar of Montana.

Once you have chosen the type of entity you want to form, we can file the appropriate documents with the Montana Secretary of State for you or provide all the information you need to do it yourself.  We provide business formation services and ongoing business compliance services by acting as your registered agent for just $100.00.  Get your license to practice law in Montana, and we will properly form your practice.  And for just $49 per year, we will provide ongoing business compliance services by acting as your Montana Registered Agent.

State Bar of Montana admissions

Montana Secretary of State forms