Montana Athletic Trainer License Requirements

How do I become an athletic trainer in Montana?

To get your Montana athletic trainer license, you need a Baccalaureate Degree from a post-secondary institution that meets National Athletic Trainer Association Board of Certification academic standards. Applicants also need at least two letters of reference from clinical supervisors familiar with their training experience. Finally, applicants must pass the Athletic Trainers Examination and possess a Board of Certification (BOC) card.

If you have a valid athletic trainer license from another state, Montana must consider the standards to be equal to its own for you to practice in Montana. If you’re certified as a trainer by an organization recognized by the national commission for certifying agencies, you can practice in Montana.

How do you get a Montana athletic trainer license?

Submit the application to the Montana Board of Athletic Trainers. Include the fee, transcripts, a copy of your current BOC card, and a copy of a current CPR certification. Letters of recommendation must be sent to the board by the reference.

Submit your application and materials to:

Montana Board of Athletic Trainers
PO Box 200513
301 South Park, 4th Floor
Helena, Montana 59620-0513
Phone: (406) 841-2202
Fax: (406) 841-2305

How much does a Montana athletic trainer license cost?

Application and original license fee:

Are there any continuing education requirements for Montana athletic trainers?

Montana does not require continuing education for athletic trainers.

Should I form my own athletic trainer business in Montana?

In addition to becoming a Montana licensed athletic trainer, you may want to start your own athletic training business. Registering your Montana business entity with the Secretary of State can be easy and offers many benefits and protections for athletic trainers. Montana allows athletic trainers to choose the entity that best suits their needs. Athletic trainers may form standard partnerships, corporations, limited liability companies, etc. Athletic trainers may also create professional corporations (PC) and professional limited liability companies (PLLC). These professional entities allow licensed individuals to form a corporation or LLC for the purpose of practicing their profession.  Shareholders must also be licensed to render the service as must half of the officers and directors. Montana does not require businesses to include descriptive words such as “athletic trainer” in the business name. If you choose to form a PC in Montana, you are required to file the Articles of Incorporation with the licensing authority, in this case, the Montana Board of Athletic Trainers.

Once you have chosen the type of entity you want to form, we can file the appropriate documents with the Montana Secretary of State for you or provide all the information you need to do it yourself. We provide business formation services and ongoing business compliance services by acting as your registered agent for just $100.00. You get your Montana Athletic Trainer License and we will correctly form your Montana business. And for just $49 per year, we will provide ongoing business compliance services by acting as your Montana Registered Agent.

MBAT forms:

Montana SOS forms: