Montana Architect License Requirements

What are the requirements to become an Architect in Montana?

The Montana Board of Architects and Landscape Architects (MBALA) regulates architecture services in Montana. This is the board that you must be licensed by to practice architecture in Montana. MBALA allows you to become a licensed architect by examination, licensure in another state, or reapplication after termination of your Montana license.

How do you get a Montana Architect License?

To gain licensure by examination, you must hold a bachelor of architecture degree from a school of architecture or meet alternate education criteria. You must then complete the National Council of Architectural Registration Board’s (NCARB) Intern Development Program, which takes about three years. If you are enrolled in or have completed the internship, you may then submit your Architect Exam Application Part I and begin taking the Architectural Registration Examinations. Once you pass the exams, you may submit the Architect Exam Application part II.

To gain licensure by credentialing, applicants must meet education and experience requirements and obtain a Blue Cover Certificate from the NCARB.

How much will it cost to get a Montana architect license?

Exam application fee:

Original license application fee:

Credentialing application fee:

Annual renewal fee:

Are there any continuing education requirements for Montana architects?

Twelve hours of continuing education are required for Montana architects every year after their first renewal.

Does a Montana Architecture Firm need to be a certain type of business entity?

In addition to becoming a Montana licensed architect, you may want to start your own architecture firm. Registering your Montana business entity with the Secretary of State offers many benefits and protections for architects. Montana allows architects to choose the entity that best suits their needs. Architects may form standard partnerships, corporations, limited liability companies, etc. Architects may also create professional corporations (PC) and professional limited liability companies (PLLC). These professional entities allow licensed individuals to form a corporation or LLC for the purpose of practicing their profession. Shareholders must also be licensed to render the service as must half of the officers and directors. Montana does not require entities to include a description of the service (such as the word “architect”) in the business name. If you choose to form a PC in Montana, you are required to file the Articles of Incorporation with the licensing authority, in this case, the Montana Board of Architects and Landscape Architects.

Once you have chosen the type of entity you want to form, we can file the appropriate documents with the Montana Secretary of State for you or provide all the information you need to do it yourself. We provide business formation services and ongoing business compliance services by acting as your registered agent for just $100.00. You get your Montana Architecture License and we will properly form your Montana business. And for just $49 per year, we will provide ongoing business compliance services by acting as your Montana Registered Agent.

Montana Board of Architects and Landscape Architects forms

Montana Secretary of State Forms